Saturday, October 31, 2009

Unagi

One of my favorite episodes of Friends is "The One with Unagi." Ross tries to explain the concept of Unagi as a "state of total awareness," while everyone else thinks it's a kind of eel served at sushi restaurants. I'll admit, however, that a couple of the jokes didn't quite make sense to me since I had never had sushi and was actually a little afraid to try it. My friend Shannon was always trying to get me to go get sushi with her, but I stood my ground and always refused.

THEN...Phil and I went out for date night to a Thai restaurant that also has an extensive sushi bar. UNAGI was actually on the menu! This was exciting enough to me that Phil was actually able to convince me to try some sushi for my very first time. I started out wimpy with a California roll...and liked it!

THE NEXT STEP...Last weekend, Phil and I returned to the restaurant for-----an entire dinner of sushi!!! This was a huge step for me, and you can see I was a little unsure at the beginning. Here I am with our "boat for two" in front of me (that's unagi on the back end of the boat!)


The story has a happy ending, and now, Shannon, I will go for sushi with you the next time we are together!
And yes, of course I went home and watched "The One with Unagi" with new appreciation.

2 comments:

Christina said...

This is great! You are a brave woman! :)

Corrie said...

That's Thai Nine! We love that place :)