Monday, April 12, 2010

Non-traditional Easter Dinner

We already have really enjoyed our new location because of the culture all around us that is just missing from Dayton. Obviously, there is DC with all of its splendor and museums, but there are also many more restaurants and grocery stores to investigate here. Phil discovered this international grocery store just a couple of minutes from our house. I went with him a couple of days later, and I must say - it is the coolest grocery store EVER! There is this whole seafood section in the back with every kind of fish you could ever want.


Of course I was a dork and took pictures. Yes, the guy behind the counter laughed at me. No, I didn't care. Yes, I cropped him out of the pictures. Who's laughing now?

There is fresh fish on ice...

along with clams, mussels, and other fun things. I'm going to learn a lot about cooking seafood while I'm here!

Now, I don't know if you noticed the price of the lobster in that first photo - $6.99 a pound! So, Phil and I decided to have a little adventure and prepare lobster for Easter dinner while my parents and sister were here. FUN!

"Hello, Mr. Lobster. Nice to meet you."
My dad thought we should take the rubber bands off his claws to give him a fighting chance. I didn't go for it, though.

Grace was pretty pumped about putting hers in the pot.

Mom was a little more sympathetic.

Ready to eat! They turned out so well, we couldn't believe it - our first try! We didn't really have the right utensils (notice the kitchen shears behind the salt and pepper shakers), so there was lobster flying everywhere. We had so much fun, though, and laughed a lot.

Grace getting ready to dig into her first lobster ever!

No comments: