Wednesday, September 9, 2009

My Thoughts on New Plates

I recently registered my car in the state of Ohio. This changed caused me to reflect on each set of plates I have had on my car. My first plates were Minnesota plates. I don't know whether it was because I was newly married, or had just moved across the country, or what, but surrendering my MN plates was a strangely emotional experience for me. I probably could have gotten away with keeping at least one, but I was naive and held back my tears as I handed over my beautiful MN plates (they really are the best ones.) PS, this picture is NOT my actual old license plate. That one would have about a hundred dead mosquitos plastered to it - which added character, by the way. Please observe a moment of reverent silence as you look at the following image...

I now realize that, being military, I could have kept my MN plates all along! However, I didn't know this at the time and one of my first stops - post honeymoon - was the DMV to get my new CA plates. I never had the sentimental attachment to the CA plates, but it made me feel cool when out-of-state peeps would see them and say, "oooo you're from CA. That must be sweet!" Phil assured me, however, that I would always be a MN girl at heart.

Here is my car sporting her new Ohio plates. We got these because it is ridiculously expensive to have your car registered in CA, so this saves us a bundle. Although I was not attached to my CA plates (they are rather plain looking) I was sad to surrender them. Not only are OH plates rather dull, no one EVER says, "ooooo you're from Ohio!"
So, with each new plate it seems I have been demoted a little bit. But it does make me wonder how my collection of plates will grow and which plates my car will sport in the future.

1 comment:

Megan Lockridge said...

I still think ours are the best! Although if they really do cost more then I would give them up too. But I think I'd have to rate them:

1. California!!!
2. Minnesota/Ohio

(They can tie, because neither are here in California!)

Miss you guys! Thanks for being so great about posting. I love reading about all the fun things your family is doing! :)