Sunday, February 13, 2011

Welcome to Life, Clara Grace!

She is here! Clara Grace Swenson makes us The Swensons - Party of Four!

Here are some stats for you -
Born: February 7, 2011 at 11:59 PM (just one MINUTE away from sharing Grandpa Rob's b-day!)
Height: 20.75 inches
Weight: 6lbs. 13oz.
Everything Else: Perfect.
The story goes like this:

I had been having contractions for a week, but none that stayed regular for very long. I was excited that things were happening, though. I had an appointment on Monday, February 7, at 1:30. The contractions had been uncomfortable enough that I was sure that I would have made lots of progress, dilation-wise, but was SO BUMMED when the doctor told me I was still at "just over two centimeters." I called my mom on the way home from the appointment and told her that the baby and I were in a fight and she would never come out. (Keep in mind that I was still only 38 weeks - imagine how grumpy I would have been if she were over due...)

So - Phil went back to work (he had come to my appointment thinking that there would be bigger news) and I carried on with my busy day of errands and tutoring. I noticed some increasingly uncomfortable contractions as I browsed the baby consignment shop, but figured they were just a result of the examination that afternoon.

At 3:00, I noticed that the contractions were coming at regular intervals, but that had happened before, so I figured it would go away soon. Off to the mall I went to pick up a "new daddy" gift for Phil. By the time I walked through the mall and got back in the car to drive to my tutoring appointment, the contractions were still regular and getting a little more intense. By the time I got close to home, I was feeling a bit uneasy driving when the contractions came. I called to cancel my tutoring session and called Phil at work.

Phil came home and we went to the hospital. At this point, I am so hopeful that this is IT, but very skeptical at the same time. It was so different than when I was induced with Adam - knowing exactly when I was going to go to the hospital.

We walked around the hospital for about an hour and a half and were then admitted. I was four centimeters at about 6:30 or so. This was IT. Weird...I didn't think I was going to have a baby when I woke up that morning, but apparently I was.

Once they admitted us, it was game on and things started clicking right along. Phil and I worked through the contractions for quite a while - Phil was a great support to me and I was able to wait until about 7-8 centimeters before getting my epidural. I know I could have done the whole thing without drugs - I felt so strong with Phil's help - but I have such fond memories from my experience pushing with Adam, and I wanted to have that again this time. After resting for about a half an hour, it was time to push.

The epidural was perfect - just like last time - and I could still feel and move my legs and push really well. I pushed for three contractions and then...

She was here.
She cried right away, and then was just wide eyed and looking around. I felt really good after delivery and we have been doing so well. She figured out nursing quickly, and absolutely loves eating.

Daddy and Clara.

Meeting Grandma Ann. My mom is here for a week, and then Grandma and Grandpa Swenson arrive.

Ready to take my girl home. She is wearing the same coming home outfit that Adam wore (also worn by my brother, sister, and me).

All ready to go home.

4 comments:

Susie said...

1. I love that you said "Game On."
2. Your mama has so much pride in her face as she looks at her precious new girl.
3. I love that you are a Party of Four.
4. Clara is a beautiful girl and so so blessed to have you as her mama.
So incredibly happy for your guys ;) Happy Valentine's Day, friend.

Sheri said...

Congratulations! Enjoy life with 2! She is beautiful!

Unknown said...

aweseome, congratulations!
I love that name "Clara Grace" - it's beautiful.
I'm glad things went so smoothly.
So happy for you and your family.

Just Jess said...

Ahhh Dana! We are now in a fight because your post has me crying. AND I'm at work! I'm just so happy for you guys! Lots of love, MJ