Friday, July 25, 2008

Teacher Field Trip - Nixon Library

I love being a teacher for many reasons, one of which is having summers off!  Summers in CA have been extra fun because of the wonderful teacher friends that I have...I love them so much!!!  For the past two summers, we have tried to plan a "teacher field trip" each week to take advantage of not having to work.  It can be as simple as lunch or going to the beach, but we often try to do a destination field trip to places we have never been but have wanted to visit.  Last week, my friend Jen (the mastermind behind the teacher field trips) and I went to visit the Richard Nixon Presidential Library in Yorba Linda, CA.  Presidential libraries have a section that is actually a library open to researchers, but they also have a museum portion, which is open to the general public.  You can see Jen's comments and photos from the trip on her blog "The Life of Jen."  We had a great time and learned muchisimo!  

The Ronald Reagan library is also in California, and I have been there several times (once with my students for a field trip).  I would love to eventually visit all the Presidential Libraries...wish me luck!!!

This was a highlight for me.  This is the house that Richard Nixon's parents built in 1912.  Nixon lived here for the first 9 years of his life.  It has been refurbished, but remains on the original site.  Very cool that about 90 percent of the furnishings and objects are original items from the Nixon family home.  The lady standing to the left is possibly the cutest docent ever, Margie.  She told us all about the house and Nixon's parents and childhood.  I should also add that she was wearing some pink sunglasses that really completed her cute look!  

Here is the reflecting pool which leads up to the back of the museum.  The little white gazebo on the right was used during Tricia Nixon's (the former President's daughter) wedding, which took place in the Rose Garden at the White House.  


No comments: